A pre-Mother’s Day chat about the conflict between mothers and their adult daughters. One adult daughter, one mother, how tough could it be to get along? Haha!
Karen Anderson, author of The Peaceful Daughter’s Guide to Separating From a Difficult Mother dishes with Mary about the age old tension, manipulation, shame and guilt that bounces between women.
In this first of 2 episodes featuring Karen, you will learn:
- about the history of the mother-daughter dynamic
- the different types of difficult mothers
- enmeshed relationships
- how to emotionally separate from your mother
- to decide “how you want to show-up” in your own life
- why you should never cook Thanksgiving dinner with your enmeshed mother
- how to physically separate
- and; so much more!
The conversation continues in Episode 61: The Peaceful Daughter’s Guide to Separating From a Difficult Mother, releasing on May 4, 2016.
More about Karen C. L. Anderson…
Karen is an international best-selling author and mentor who helps women who struggle with – or who are estranged from – their mothers overcome dysfunctional generational patterns and know that they can live truly happy, fulfilled lives, no matter what. She does this because there’s usually other stuff these women want to work on, but until they start to examine that very first and most important relationship, that other stuff often feels impossible.
Why does she do this? Because she’s been there and done that.
She’s been the reactive, resistant woman-child full of shame, blame, and desperation. She’s done the hard (the good kind of “hard”) work (the motivating, inspirational kind) in order to become a grown-ass woman who rocks her life on her own terms while having relationships that are based on true compassion, honesty, appreciation, and love.
The sum of her experiences, her wisdom, her innate abilities, and the stuff she’s learned along the way, are enough.
Here’s the formal training that puts structure around that:
- Master Certified Life Coach through the Life Coach School (2014)
- Emotional Freedom Techniques practitioner (EFT Training For Trauma, Levels I + II, 2013)
- Author of The Peaceful Daughter’s Guide To Separating From A Difficult Mother (2015) and
- AFTER (the before + after): A Real Life Story of Weight Loss, Weight Gain, and Weightlessness Through Total Acceptance (2011), which was based on Karen’s previous blog, “Before & After: A Real Life Story.”
- That blog was selected by the Institute for the Psychology of Eating as one of the Top 50 Emotional Eating blogs, and by Shape magazine one of the Top 20 Inspiring Weight Loss Blogs (in 2011).
- Prior to all of that? She spent seven years as a freelance writer and before that she spent 17 years trying to fit her right-brained self into a left-brained career as a trade magazine journalist in the field of plastics (and if she had a dime for every time someone mentioned that line from The Graduate…).
- Bachelor of Arts in Communications from Marist College (1984)
She is married to the love of her life, Tim Anderson (a left-brained engineer), and they live in New London, CT, with their two cats, Bella and Starla. She is child-free by choice, has three step kids, and now gets to be Booboo to her stepdaughter’s children.