Downsizing, how to let go of your stuff
Downsizing. Just the word makes a pack rat feel unsettled. Meet Experience 50 Podcast listener Karyn Hertel, 44, who successfully downsized her family’s home by 30% and their “stuff” by 40%. Karyn and her husband Bob had been hearing more about downsizing, minimalist living and found it appealing as a way to simplify their busy lives.
They decided to sell their home, choosing to live in a smaller home. Moving day came and caught them unprepared. They literally could not fit their things in the new house. Yikes!
Mary and Karyn talk about how she did it and why. Note the questions to ask yourself about any item in your home that you can’t decide if it stays or goes. Downsizing it tough work, each item can create an emotional battle within.
Questions for any item:
- Does this thing make me happy? Brings me joy?
- If I lost it or it was damaged, would I replace it?
- Am I keeping this only because I might use it “someday”?
- Does this item reflect who I am, who I want to be, or who I used to be?
- Is this a nostalgic item?
- Would I pay to store it. If this item was in a storage unit, 30 minutes away, would I retrieve it more than once a year?
- Would I get as much enjoyment seeing a photograph of it as having it at hand?
- Am I only keeping this item out of respect for somebody else (dead or alive)?
Both Karyn and Joy (Episode 33: Decluttering in Midlife with Joy Bender Hadley) describe a post-declutter/downsizing euphoria of lightness and a more stress-free lifestyle.
Mentioned in this episode:
Thanks so much for joining me today.
Have some feedback you’d like to share? Great! Leave your thoughts in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Experience 50 Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They make a huge impact on the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them. You may even hear me read it on a future show.
If you have any questions or suggestions to share with me, you can reach me at email@example.com. I read and enjoy every email.
You can get show information every other Friday with Mary’s Friday Five, HERE or simply text the word FRIDAY to 42828 to get on the list.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thank you so much for listening,